FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the One-Bite Program?
The Ohio General Assembly established a program that allows an eligible practitioner who is impaired due to a substance use disorder to avoid formal disciplinary action by the State Medical Board of Ohio (SMBO) by utilizing established confidential monitoring and treatment conditions as defined in Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 4731.251 and 4731.252 - this is known as the One-Bite Program.
2. Who is eligible to enter the One-Bite Program?
The One-Bite Program is available for all individuals licensed by the SMBO: Physicians (M.D./D.O./D.P.M.), Physician Assistants, Anesthesiologist Assistants, Acupuncturists, Oriental Medicine Practitioners, Dietitians, Genetic Counselors, Radiologist Assistant, Respiratory Care Professionals, Cosmetic Therapists, and Massage Therapists.
3. Will the State Medical Board of Ohio know of my One-Bite Program participation?
OhioPHP shall not disclose to the SMBO the name or any records relating to a participant under the One-Bite Program unless certain conditions exist and in accordance with ORC 4731.251(D).
4. How do I access or enter the One-Bite Program?:
The Ohio Physicians Health Program (OhioPHP) is approved by the State to serve as the monitoring organization responsible for determining whether a practitioner is eligible to participate in the One-Bite Program and for conducting the One-Bite Program. Contact OhioPHP at (614) 841-9690 or at email@example.com to start the enrollment process.
5. How do I know if I am eligible to enter the One-Bite Program?
To be determined eligible for the One-Bite Program by OhioPHP you must meet the following criteria: you have been diagnosed with a substance use disorder; you have not previously participated in the One-Bite Program or the reporting exemption under Chapter 4731-15 of the Ohio Administrative Code; and you have not had any prior disciplinary action for substance use disorder or impairment by a licensing board in Ohio.
6. What treatment options do I have and how long will I be in treatment?
In order to enter the One-Bite Program, a practitioner must complete a 72-hour comprehensive evaluation at a SMBO approved One-Bite Program treatment provider; complete treatment as recommended at a SMBO approved One-Bite Program treatment provider; and enter into a continuing care agreement with a One-Bite Program approved continuing care provider. Continuing care shall occur weekly for a minimum of six months.
7. How can my treatment facility become a One-Bite Program approved treatment provider?
Contact OhioPHP's Clinical Director, Nelson Heise at (614) 841-9690 to discuss the requirements to become a One-Bite Program approved treatment provider.
8. How can my treatment facility become a One-Bite Program approved continuing care provider?
Contact OhioPHP's Clinical Director, Nelson Heise at (614) 841-9690 to discuss the requirements to become a One-Bite Program approved continuing care provider.
9. I am a practitioner and want to learn more.
10. I am a treatment provider and want to learn more.